March 20, 2008

--New Research Sheds Light on Origins of Yellow Fever--

I was reading one of my textbooks last night (for my BYU classes) and I stumbled upon something I found quite interesting. Scientists have recently conducted many explorations into the history of disease in Latin America. One particular study attempted to determine the origin of all diseases in Post-Columbian, Latin America. Until recently, scientists assumed that yellow fever was brought over from Africa among the slave trades, devastating massive indigenous populations in Latin America. However, new research is pointing to an existing presence of yellow fever long before the arrival of old world explorers. Yellow fever is common to Africa and the Near East…which got me thinking…The family of Lehi…is it possible that this family brought over a strain of yellow fever with them? Might this be evidence of Near Eastern immigrants in Pre-Columbian America? I don't know. It's fun to think about, however.

1 comment:

Christi said...

Very interesting. Welcome to the blogosphere! I'll add you to my blogging friends links.